While all Heartland Checking accounts come standard with free Overdraft Protection you may not always have enough money in your Savings Account for us to transfer to cover you, so we also offer Privilege Pay for qualifying members.
With Privilege Pay we’ll clear your transactions even if you don’t have the funds available in your account to clear them – saving you from costly fees and the embarrassment associated with a returned check.
Do I Qualify for Privilege Pay?
To qualify for Privilege Pay no application is necessary, you must simply meet the following criteria:
- Have a Heartland Checking account that has be open for a minimum of 90 days
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Checking balance cannot be negative for more than 10 days
- Cannot have delinquent loans of more than $25 for more than 45 days
- Must have a deposit of at least $200 in the last 15 days
- Cannot have filed Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy
How Much Does it Cost?
- NO FEE to have Privilege Pay available on your account.
- NO FEE if you never use it.
- Each time Privilege Pay covers your transactions, because you didn’t have enough money in your account, you pay $30.
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks drawn from your Heartland account
- ACH (Automated Clearing House) transactions
- Automatic bill payments
- Recurring payments from your debit card, such as gym membership fees
How long do I have to repay or cover my overdraft?
You must repay or cover your overdraft within 45 days. After 45 days your account will be closed.
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
How Do I Sign Up?
If you qualify for Privilege Pay we will automatically cover check, ACH and recurring Debit card transactions such as a gym membership fee – no need to sign up.
However, if you’d like us to cover your debit card transactions as well, Federal Regulations require you to “Opt-In” to the program (this regulation does not apply to Business Accounts).
What Happens if I Don’t Opt-In to Privilege Pay for My Debit Card Transactions?
It’s your choice to make Privilege Pay available on your account by opting in or opting out.
If you do not opt-in your everyday debit card transactions may be denied if the money is not available in your account. Simply put, if you use your card to pay at the grocery store, gas station or other merchants and you don’t have enough money in your account your transaction could be denied.
How Do I Opt In to Cover My Debit Card Transactions?
- By Phone: Call us at (651) 451-5160 or (800) 813-9185. Please review this required form before calling.
- By Mail or Fax: Print, complete and return via fax to (651) 451-1591. Or mail to:
Heartland Credit Union
5500 South Robert Trail
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
- In Person: Visit a Heartland branch.